The Council of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) Party convening in Bucharest, Romania on 20-21 October 2023, adopted a resolution on “The situation in Nagorno-Karabakh after Azerbaijan’s attack and the continuing threats against Armenia”, Edmon Marukyan, Ambassador-at-Large of Armenia stated in X
• Azerbaijan’s blockade of the Lachin Corridor caused an ongoing humanitarian crisis for ethnic Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh.
• The recent, unprovoked attacks by Azerbaijan resulted in civilian deaths and the ethnic cleansing of approximately 120,000 Armenians.
• Following ceasefire violations by Azerbaijan and unsuccessful mediation efforts, tensions threaten an invasion in Armenia by Azerbaijan.
• Armenia shares strong cultural and religious bonds with Europe and seeks closer collaboration with Europe and the Western community.
• Azerbaijan is influencing Western and European nations by means of its oil and gas diplomacy.
• The international community failed to prevent ethnic cleansing of Armenians.
• Increased EU economic aid to Armenia to support refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh.
• The safe return of Armenians to Nagorno-Karabakh and the release of prisoners, captives including elected representatives of Nagorno-Karabakh.
• Deploying a UN peacekeeping mission in Nagorno-Karabakh, guaranteeing the rights and security of the Armenian population.
• Targeted sanctions on Azerbaijani officials responsible for multiple ceasefire and human rights violations in Nagorno-Karabakh as well as an investigation for war crimes.
• Prohibiting hatred and ethnic cleansing of Armenians by Azerbaijan.
• Prohibiting the destruction of Armenian cultural heritage in Nagorno-Karabakh.
• Condemning the inflammatory statements made by the Azerbaijani President and other Azerbaijani officials, threatening the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Armenia, including those in connection with the ‘Zangezur-corridor’.
• A comprehensive peace agreement between Armenia and Azerbaijan, including mutual recognition of territorial integrity.
• An intensified political and diplomatic cooperation of the EU with Armenia in the framework of the Eastern Partnership and by opening a path for Armenia’s EU-membership, ensuring its safety and peace in the region.
• Diversification of oil and gas supply to decrease Western dependency on Azerbaijan.