Ecuador takes note of the letters of Armenia and Azerbaijan sent to the UN Security Council recently regarding the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh. Ecuador's representative Hernan Perez Loos said in his speech at the extraordinary session of the UN Security Council devoted to the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh.
"The actions of September 19 must be condemned. As a result, dozens of civilians were killed and thousands of people were forced to leave their homes. The use of military force in violation of international humanitarian law and international law cannot be justified. These actions are contrary to the temporary measures that the International Court of Justice established on December 7, 2021. The recently announced ceasefire must be fully maintained in place. It should serve as a means of de-escalating tensions, aiming to provide the necessary conditions and guarantees for the security and rights of the people of the region.
Previously, my delegation drew the attention of the Council to the issue related to the freedom of movement through the Lachin corridor. We recall the dire humanitarian situation and its consequences for the security of the region. As ever, it is critical to ensure unhindered access to humanitarian aid so that the situation for the civilian population does not worsen.
Ecuador calls on the parties to return to dialogue and negotiations and to do so irreversibly, and to do so on all platforms, with all initiatives and instruments that will make a peaceful solution possible, respecting the norms of international law and in accordance with the UN Charter.
Any agreement must provide the necessary safeguards for people living in this region while fully respecting human rights. Ecuador calls on the council to ensure a diplomatic solution between the parties as a result of the dialogue process," he said.